Saturday 3 December 2011

Front Cover Design

I am deciding to print my book at 10x8, as a landscape book. I also changed my mind about binding it the way I was going to. I am going to ring bind it so that the pages are more easily visible and the book won't be forced to want to close on itself.

I think that this is a pretty good size for a ring bound book as some of the landscape space will be taken up by the spiral spine, leaving a good area to work with. I am also making my front cover myself with an image on card and the covering it with sticky back cellophane to give it a shiny and more professional finish.

Here are some designs for my front cover


Here was my first design, I just took the front of the diner and added a thick black border all the way around the outside. However it looks a little empty and needs something more interesting in the background.


This is when I was going to perfect bind it, I left a white edge to wrap around the spine.


Here is my final design I think. I left it quite blank near the left edge as this is where it will overlap and not be seen, also where the holes for the spiral spine will be.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a main front cover to show the main area where the action will be taking place and the main characters involved. Then to have a title page just inside with the title and "By Robert Beard"instead of trying to fit it on the front cover and having it blend in with the background.

These are my two designs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment